Frequently Asked Questions

What is Specialized Needs Recreation?

Specialized Needs Recreation (SNR) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization providing recreational socialization opportunities for individuals with special needs.   

What is Specialized Needs Recreation’s Tax ID number?  

SNR’s Tax ID number is 82-0370987.  

What is our mission?  

Enriching our participants with special needs through recreation and socialization to enhance personal growth.  

What is our vision?  

We champion an independent and joyful life, creating a connected community for all.  

When was Specialized Needs Recreation established?  

In 1984, a group of parents formed the Association for the Handicap, doing business as Specialized Needs Recreation. SNR is a branch of the city’s Parks and Recreation Departments. It began providing recreational and socialization activities for individuals of all ages with special needs.   

Where is Specialized Needs Recreation located?  

Our facility is at 3700 Government Way, Suite J, Coeur d’Alene, ID. 83815.    

Our 1,000-square-foot facility includes wide-open spaces and a fully equipped kitchen and is conveniently located in the center of town. The facility serves as our “launchpad,” where groups begin and end activities. We have four passenger vans to transport groups to daily activities.   

What type of people does Specialized Needs Recreation serve?  

Specialized Needs Recreation serves people of all abilities, ages eight and up.   

Check with program coordinators to find the best age-appropriate program activities  

How many people does Specialized Needs Recreation serve annually?  

More than 300 people participate in our program. Collectively, SNR was visited 5,006 times in 2023.  

What geographic areas does the organization serve?  

Our participants live in Kootenai County, Boundary County, Shoshone County, and Spokane Valley.   

How many people are on staff?  

In the fiscal year 2023, we had three full-time and three part-time employees.  

What is your annual budget?  

Our annual operating budget is $340,190  

Does Specialized Needs Recreation offer program scholarships?  

Yes, we have a scholarship program available for all participants and all programs. With 90% of our participants in low to moderate-income households qualifying for government assistance, program fees are kept to a minimum. You can find more information about our scholarship program on our website.   

Why should I donate to Specialized Needs Recreation?  

We rely solely on municipal support from the City of Coeur d’Alene, the City of Post Falls, the City of Hayden, and the City of Rathdrum, individual contributions, fundraising, and grants. We do not receive any state or federal funding.    

Are gifts tax-deductible?  

Yes, gifts are 100% tax-deductible.    

Where do I mail my donation to?  

Checks and money orders should be mailed to:  

Specialized Needs Recreation  

PO Box 2451  

Coeur d’Alene, ID. 83816  

Make checks payable to Specialized Needs Recreation  

If you wish to allocate your gift to a particular program, please include this information in the memo line.  

How much of my donation will go towards programs?  

In the fiscal year 2023, 95% of all expenditures went to program services. For more financial information, visit our website or    

How does my company become a Corporate Sponsor?  

If you are interested in becoming a Corporate Sponsor, please get in touch with [email protected] or [email protected]  

How can I volunteer at Specialized Needs Recreation?  

Volunteers at Specialized Needs Recreation help the organization through fundraising, marketing, public relations, and hands-on interactions with our participants. The volunteer application can be found on our website.