What is Specialized Needs Recreation?
Specialized Needs Recreation (SNR) is a not-for-profit organization providing recreational socialization opportunities for individuals with special needs.
What is your mission?
We believe that every individual can live a joyful, active, and fulfilling life provided the opportunity. We champion these opportunities for individuals with special needs in our community.
Can participants attend programming independently?
Yes. However, if one or more of the following criteria are met then the participant will need to attend programming with a One on One Support Staff arranged by the parent or guardian.
- The participant exhibits behavior problems such as aggression, explosive outbursts, runs away.
- The participant cannot follow simple directions.
- The participant is not toilet trained.
- The participant will not remain in a group setting and wanders.
- The participant cannot perform basic care; walk w/o assistance, self feed, etc.
Where is SNR located?
Our facility is located at 3700 Government Way, Suite J, Coeur d’Alene, ID. 83815.
Our 1000 square foot facility includes wide-open spaces, a full kitchen and is located conveniently in the center of town. The facility is our launchpad, where groups begin and end activities. We have two twelve-passenger vans used to transport groups on outings.
When was Specialized Needs Recreation first established?
In 1984, a group of parents came together to form Association for the Handicap, doing business as, Specialized Needs Recreation, as a branch of the neighboring cities Parks and Recreation Departments, offering social and recreational activities for individuals of all ages with special needs.
What geographic areas does the organization serve?
Our participants live in the following counties: Kootenai, Boundary, Shoshone, and Spokane.
How many people does Specialized Needs Recreations serve annually?
Currently, we have 300+ people participating in at least one program even a year.
Who does Specialized Needs Recreation serve?
Specialized Needs Recreation serves people of all abilities, ages eight years and up. Check with program coordinators to find the best age-appropriate program activities. Visit our website at www.snridaho.org for program information. Or you may call us at 208-755-6781.
How many programs do you offer?
We have four program offerings:
- Camp All-Stars is a camp program for ages 8-19. We offer winter, spring, and summer camps for school-age kids. Campers enjoy games, crafts, theme days, daily activities such as swimming, bowling, and field trips.
- Evening Group meets three to four times a month to enjoy friendship and fellowship among peers. Our Evening Group enjoys dinner with friends, game nights, movie nights, dances, talent shows, and live theater productions.
- SNR Life group is an adult life skills program where participants work on social interactions to expand living an independent life. Our LIFE participants grow their skills through special projects, exercise, budgeting, cooking, community outings, educational tours, and volunteer opportunities.
- SNR Sports is our sports program. We offer mini sports sessions three to four times a year, with a specialty focus on basketball, soccer, and flow boarding.
Does Specialized Needs Recreation offer program scholarships?
Yes, we have a scholarship program available for all participants and all programs. With 90% of our participants in low to moderate-income households and qualifying for government assistance, program fees must be kept to a minimum. Every person that wants to attend activities can come with our scholarship program. You can find more information about our scholarship program on our website.
Why should I donate to SNR?
We rely solely on municipal support from the City of Coeur d’Alene, City of Post Falls, City of Hayden, and Rathdrum, individual contributions, fundraising, and grants. We do not receive any state or federal funding.
How many people are on staff?
In the fiscal year 2019, we had one full-time employee and two part-time employees.
What is your annual budget?
Our annual operating budget is $120,000
Are gifts tax-deductible?
Yes, gifts are 100% tax-deductible, except items won from a raffle or auction, which are eligible for tax dedications at a fair market value.
How much of my donation will go towards programs?
In the fiscal year 2019, 87% of all expenditures went to program services. For more financial information, visit our website or GuideStar.com.
How can I volunteer at SNR?
Volunteers at Specialized Needs Recreation help the organization through fundraising, marketing, public relations, and hands-on interactions with our participants. If you are interested in volunteering, please get in touch with the executive director.
How does my company become a Corporate Sponsor?
If you are interested in becoming a Corporate Sponsor, please get in touch with [email protected].
Where do I mail my donation to SNR?
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Specialized Needs Recreation
PO Box 2451
Coeur d’Alene, ID. 83816
Make checks payable to Specialized Needs Recreation
Please include information in the memo line if you wish your gift allocated to a particular program.
What is SNR’s Tax ID number?
SNR’s Tax ID number is: 82-0370987